Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rock N Roll Run Recap

Well, we had a hard time getting to the start line in adequate time to warm-up due to the UPS gear check being at the end of the corrals and getting through the crowds to get to the area. However the brisk run to the line constituted as our warm-up.
Jake is all ready to go!
And so am I!
Here we are, let's get this started!!!

The first 2 miles I paced myself with Jake, then I decided to let him go ahead of me so we could run at our own pace. I was doing great until around mile 5.5, then I was starting to drag so I went to push my power song on my iPod and my iPod freezes, wtf...why oh why....however I knew this was a possibility since it was happening randomly for about a month, but why during a race. I knew I had a few cheerleaders between mile 7&8 so I knew I could make it that far. I made it to mile 10 and set a new PR for my 10mile time! Then, around mile 10.5 I was having excrutiating knee pain, crying on the course, so I decided I had to walk. I tried jogging as much as possible but that knee...so needless to say, the last 3 miles were disappointing, however I also knew the knee pain may be a problem during this run. Let's back up a day, our friend who is a physical therapist, was gracious enough to come over yesterday and K-Tape Jake's achilles and take a look at my knee. Jake needs to work on achilles stretches, and stretching in general. I need to work on upper leg/hip exercises, which will strengthen my legs and eliminate knee problems. So luckily, both of us have minor injuries, which are easily solved with a little extra gym time.
Well, this is our group at the end of the race. We knew more people in it, saw many on the race, but didn't see them after.
It's now time to make our game plan for future races, I think we are going to try to stick to less than 10miles in the future. I know the Virginia Beach 1/2 marathon is on the schedule in Sept, can't wait for that! We are also working out our gymtime plan so we can avoid future problems.
Everyone was GREAT and did their personal best today~and that is all that counts!!!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad your knee injury is not serious! Good job in completing the race, despite the knee issues. Hoping for a speedy recovery!